Students get enrolled in different programs while in college, and one of these crucial areas entails that of social sciences. Such students have to write an excellent social science paper by their instructors to gauge their understanding of concepts taught. However, most professors will not instruct the students on how to write the paper, and as a result, students can get confused about how to go about it.
So, how can a student in the behavioral and social sciences field organize their paper as they write to submit for grading?
The Best Way to Organize a Social Science Paper
If you prove a student and in desperate need of inspiration, when it comes to organizing your write-up, then consider the following.
- Pick an excellent research problem. All you have to do at this stage entails reading research material effectively to understand what type of topic can prove perfect for the research. Additionally, narrow the subject idea from the broad concept and set timelines, upon which you can realize the subject idea.
- Prepare to write the paper. Here, you have to carefully consider the type of writing style you want to employ once you settle on a topic. Additionally, develop an outline to ensure that your work becomes simple and not confusing. Thereafter, settle on an appropriate style of paragraph development, where each paragraph starts with a topic sentence, and the concluding sentence transitions into the next paragraph, and so on.
- Develop the abstract. An abstract proves an executive summary of your entire research work. It has to give the reader sufficient information about your work but at the same time, prove brief and concise.
- The introduction. Here, you have to use the standard CARS model. Additionally, include the background information of the entire study, your research question or problem, and the theoretical framework that you base your entire study upon.
- Literature review. The section should include all relevant material that pertains to the study topic. Additionally, you have to track your citations and evaluate every information source you want to use. Such sources can prove primary such as articles, journals, books, etc. Sources can also prove secondary or tertiary.
- The methodology. Here you have to organize your methods as either qualitative or quantitative and elaborate your specific method.
- Results. You have to consider employing non-textual elements when communicating your results.
- Discussion. The section entails arguing your results out by supporting them with contextual literature. You also have to discuss the study limitations in this section.
- The conclusion. Should summarize the whole study and also contain the appendices.
- Proofreading. It proves crucial to proofread your work once you finish the writing process. So consider categorizing potential mistakes as either standard grammar errors or structural errors. Proofing will also ensure that your work comes across as concise.
- Cite sources. It proves vital for your document to come without any plagiarism, and as such, try and cite your sources appropriately. You can also include endnotes and footnotes, annotated bibliography, among others.
It becomes crucial for you to organize your social science paper from the time you start conceiving the idea to the time it gets ready for submission.